What does travel have to teach us? How does travel change us? Join host Becky Gillespie as she dives into these questions and shares travel stories from the road. The School of Travels is not just a podcast but a community where listeners can share their travel stories and get tips from fellow listeners in “The School of Travels” Facebook community.
Lesson 37: Exploring Off-the-Beaten-Path Japan with Travel Writer Chiara Terzuolo
In this week’s episode of the podcast, I join forces with my former guest from Lesson 4, Chiara Terzuolo, and finally talk about one of my passions that I had in mind when I first started the podcast–off-the-beaten-path travel in Japan.
Chiara and I have 24 years of experience traveling in Japan between the two of us and are going to move beyond Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, and Hiroshima to discuss the places you’ve probably never heard of if you’re only a casual Japan fan. From the delights of staying in a Japanese ryokan, to a 1200 km hiking trail with 88 temples, being buried in a hot sand bath on the island of Kyushu, and scuba diving off of islands so inaccessible that the only way there is to take a 24-hour boat ride (and is still technically part of Tokyo). We cover a lot of ground in Part 1 of our two-part series.
For those of you who have ever dreamed of visiting Japan or would love to return to this incredible country to see more, you won’t want to miss this episode!
What We Cover in This Episode:
- The best off-the-beaten-path places to see in Japan from Hokkaido to Okinawa
- What it’s like to stay at a Japanese ryokan (inn)
- Japan’s omiyage culture
- What to expect for breakfast on a ski trip to Japan
- Why you need to get a Japan Rail pass before you come to Japan
- Find Chiara’s Portfolio and Travel Articles here
- Buy a copy of “Tokyo Vegan Guide: The Plant-Based Foodie’s Guide to Japan’s Capital” written by Chiara here
Japan – Off-the-Beaten Path
- The Naka-sendo Trail
- Sado Island
- Saitama – Chichibu, Nagatoro, Shibazakura
- Mishima, Fukishima, Japan
- Ogasawara Islands
- Nara Yamanobe no michi trail – Sakurai to Tenri
- 88 Temple Pilgrimage
- Iya Valley
- Kochi – Makino Botanical Center
- Kagawa Udon
- Seto Island Sea – Setouchi Triennale
- Kurokawa Onsen
- Mt. Aso
- Hakata, Fukuoka – Tonkatsu ramen
- Amami Oshima
Every week, Coworkaholic will be sharing an episode from The School of Travels. The post The School of Travels: Figuring Out the World of Travel Insurance was published on Coworkaholic, in partnership with The School of Travels podcast.