What does travel have to teach us? How does travel change us? Join host Becky Gillespie as she dives into these questions and shares travel stories from the road. The School of Travels is not just a podcast. It’s a community where listeners can share their travel stories and get tips from fellow listeners in “The School of Travels” Facebook community.
Lesson 29: Learning How to Live the Life You Want and Not the Life You Should with the World Wanderers Podcast Hosts Ryan Ferguson and Amanda Kingsmith
Learning how to live the life you want and not life you “should” can take a lifetime to figure out, and, I’m going to be honest. Ryan Ferguson and Amanda Kingsmith don’t look like your typical “rebels” when you first meet them or hear their very kind Canadian voices on their podcast, but, as you will hear in my interview with them, Ryan and Amanda have learned how to defy the conventional life that was set out for them in small-town Canada again and again in their nine years of traveling the world together—despite having no idea where it would take them.
They followed the life manual to a tee, graduating from college and getting the type of jobs that college degrees were made for—until they found they couldn’t anymore and decided to write their own rules, while also learning how to travel successfully as a couple. This is their story—and I think you’re going to love it.
What we cover in this episode:
- How Ryan and Amanda met and took their first 6-month backpacking trip around the world, and what they learned from this first trip
- What Ryan and Amanda decided to do to break out of feeling that they had to have “college degree” jobs after graduation
- How to communicate more effectively as partners traveling around the world together
- Ryan’s attempt to get a work visa for the US – and how that all played out
- How to value life experience over “keeping up with the Joneses”
Meet Ryan and Amanda:
- The World Wanderers website here
- Instagram page for The World Wanderers here
- Ryan’s personal website here
- Amanda’s personal website (including links to her “Mastering the Business of Yoga” podcast) here
- Buy the book “Non-Violent Communication” here
- Buy the book “The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem” here
Every week, Coworkaholic will share an episode from The School of Travels. The post The School of Travels: Learning How to Live the Life You Want and Not the Life You “Should” was published on Coworkaholic, in partnership with The School of Travels podcast.