What does travel have to teach us? How does travel change us? Join host Becky Gillespie as she dives into these questions and shares travel stories from the road. The School of Travels is not just a podcast but a community where listeners can share their travel stories and get tips from fellow listeners in “The School of Travels” Facebook community.
Lesson 43: Starting Your Own Brewery in Japan with Sakamichi Brewing Cofounder Matthew Boynton
After working for many years in the English teaching industry in Japan, long-time friends Matthew Boynton and Dan Bellamy decided to take a chance and follow their passion for beer by opening their own brewery in Tokyo.
Not only did they have to navigate the complicated small-business infrastructure and regulations in Japanese in their local community and learn the ins and out of running their first business, but they also faced a potentially even bigger threat: opening right at the beginning of a pandemic.
So how did they do it? How did they go from teaching English to making beer? How is beer made? What is hop-diving? Why get into the beer industry in the first place?
We get to the bottom of all of these questions in this on-location episode with a bonus behind-the-scenes tour of Sakamichi Brewing! If you’re a beer enthusiast or always wondered what is involved in the beer-making industry, you won’t want to miss this episode!
What We Cover in This Episode
- Why Matthew first came over to Japan and what he thinks of the culture
- How Matthew switched from the English teaching industry to the beer industry in Japan
- How Matthew and Dan started their own business (the brewery!) in Japan
- The process for making beer and how a craft brewery really works behind the scenes
- Get a tour of Sakamichi Brewing with Becky and Matthew
- Why a strong network of friends is so important even in business
Meet Sakamichi Brewing
- You can find Sakamichi Brewing’s Instagram here
- To check out Sakamichi Brewing’s Facebook page, click here
- Check out Sakamichi Brewing’s website here here.
Every week, Coworkaholic will be sharing an episode from The School of Travels. The post School of Travels: Expanding Your Community by Getting on the Road was published on Coworkaholic, in partnership with The School of Travels podcast.